Rehabilitation of the chapel car
The Messenger of Peace is over 114 years old. In that time, there has been use, abuse, repairs, changes, and natural deterioration of the car.
The process of rehabilitating the car began by examining its current condition, evidence of changes (either intentional or unintentional), and carefully considered its long term conservation. As with many rehabilitations, there have also been some elements of restoration as missing features required to present the car in its period of significance were returned to the car. As of December 2012, details awaiting completion, subject to additional funding, include end platform railings, pews, and lighting.
The Museum applied the Secretary of the Interior Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties as a collection care standard. Notwithstanding, Federal funding and the car's listing on the National Register of Historic Places requires adherence to the Standards. The work plan for the chapel car was reviewed for adverse affect by the Washington State Department of Archeology and Historic Preservation.
The Museum has successfully applied these standards to a variety of other projects too including the Snoqualmie Depot, and SP&S Coach 218.
Period of significance
Museum researchers considered the chapel car's various uses and configurations. Research also looked at where the car traveled and minor changes in how the car was used.
For the Northwest Railway Museum, the car is more significant as a chapel than as a roadside diner or cottage. In addition, the car has particular significance to the Museum and local community when it traveled through Snoqualmie in 1917 on it way to North Bend. So the chapel car has been rehabilitated with elements of restoration to its appearance in March 1917. There are in fact few details to distinguish the appearance of the chapel car during the period from 1898 - circa 1930 when exterior sheet metal was applied. Known changes in the era include lettering style, location of air brake valve (moved when new brake rigging standards were applied circa 1910), addition of hydrocarbon (gasoline) lighting and gasoline staorage, and minor repairs necessitated by a 1922 kitchen fire.
Scope of Work
This general outline addresses major issues.